Monday, April 8, 2013

Marriage, Same Sex, Traditional, Whatever

So, a friend posted this link on her facebook feed and I thought it made some interesting points.

http://nursingclio.org/2013/04/02/same-sex-marriage-does-threaten-traditional-marriage/

I'd like to first point out that I don't like marriage, at all, for anybody.  I think it's an outdated idea.  I think there's just no need for it in today's America.  I think marriage is inherently unequal and unfair.  But, this has nothing to do with traditional gender roles or homosexuality.

If any two people get married, one will benefit financially more than the other unless both enter into it with equal assets.  If one partner has worked hard to achieve a level of monetary success and marries someone that hasn't worked as hard, the former is forced to share his/her assets with the latter equally.

This means that if I marry someone they have the legal means to spend all my income and savings on whatever they want and don't even have to discuss it with me beforehand because denying them access to "family funds" is abuse.  What's fair and equal about that?

Women go on and on about being equal, but the majority of women still marry men with higher incomes than their own, thereby raising their social status.  Even after all these years of women fighting to be treated as equals, they still insist on being given half of a man's wealth after being married to him.  This is BOLLOCKS!

I know, women still make less money than men.  However, according to the bureau of labor and statistics, the reason women make less is largely because women choose careers that pay less, work fewer hours and are less productive in general.  Here's an a link that explains more;

http://www.martynemko.com/articles/why-men-earn-more_id1226

When it comes to relationships, women always insist on "wanting more."  What is this more they want?  Does marriage mean he loves you more than he did before marriage?  Of course not.  Does marriage mean he's more committed than he was?  Nonsense.  Marriage does not guarantee fidelity.

The only thing women gain by marriage is access to a man's funds and relationships are supposed to be about love, NOT money.

As a man that's been taken advantage of in the past, I'll not be getting married again, or even sharing a home with a woman.

When I say this kind of thing women usually fire back that I have trust issues.  I say this may be true.  But, no more than any woman that doesn't want to have sex too soon.  It perfectly fine for a woman to protect herself from heartbreak, but if a man wants to protect himself from a greedy, gold digging bitch, he has "trust issues."

Does that make me a misogynist?  According to a number of women, it does.  But, if the tables are turned and a woman had more financial assets than her man, she'd probably see things differently.

2 comments:

  1. I HAVE been in a relationship where I had more assets than the man. So I do see your point. But since I am not interested in getting remarried ever again, and agree that marriage is an outdated concept, I guess I must not be an average woman by your definition.


    However, I disagree about your ideas of equality. I'm not just talking about things I read about but also anecdotal evidence from people I know. Women are still expected to do everything and make less than men, in the same jobs. A woman alone or even married often has to work more than one job to bring home an equal amount of income.

    You DO have trust issues and I can understand why up to a certain point. But I also think you are kind of a misogynist. That's why I've never thought of you as relationship material. But you are a good fuck, and you make great conversation, so that makes you worth having as a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright, where am I wrong? Why am I a misogynist? Why should a woman get paid for the rest of her life after a marriage is over?

    ReplyDelete