Saturday, April 13, 2013

Luxuries I Refuse to Live Without

I have sold or given away so many things in the past year.  Most of my guitars, all my nice clothes and shoes and so much more.  But, there are a few luxuries I'm hanging onto.  My laptop of course is high on the list.  It's become almost indispensable as a way to keep in touch with friends as well as a source for entertainment.  I use it to watch films, play games and write this blog.

My smart phone has also become very important to me.  When I'm out on the road it's my link to the internet.  I also use it while driving to listen to internet radio shows and podcasts.  This provides me with a feeling on consistency I find comforting.

My Zippo lighter is something I suppose I could live without.  But, I am a smoker and I think a Zippo lighter says something about the man that carries one, although I'm not sure what.  It also reminds me of someone, the woman that gave it to me and that's also a comfort even though our relationship has changed.

Probably the most unique item I carry with me is my badger hair shaving brush.  I don't think I know anyone else that owns one.  But, I've been using one for about 20 years and I love it.  It's an old school man thing and I enjoy the ritual of of stirring the hot water and soap in a shaving mug and lathering up my face before a shave.  It's meditative for me, calming.  And it just feels good on my skin.

I lost it last week.  I got in a hurry after a shower in a truck stop and forgot it.  I haven't shaved since then.  But, today I bought a new one and I'm going to break it in right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment