Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Van Plan

I've been thinking alot lately about living in a van.  I find the idea very attractive.  I can park it on a secured lot while I'm out driving the truck and when home, I can stay in it instead of paying for motel rooms.  But, I simply cannot afford to buy a van right now.  Then I had an epiphany.

I could trade in my car for the van.  Then I'd have only the van payment and as long as it's less than what I currently spend on my car payment and motel rooms each month, I'm saving money!  What a forehead slapper that was.  Why didn't I think of this sooner?

So, the plan as of now is to start researching vans.  I want something I could park most anywhere and not draw attention to myself.  That means I want a van with a simple, one color paint job and not one with a bunch of swooshy, tribal looking designs all over it.  However, an extended top would be nice since I'm 6 foot 4.  Another consideration is if registered as an RV, my insurance will be lower.

Now, what do I need in my van?  A small refrigerator, a bed, an oven and cooking surface and enough space to store my few belongings.

What will I do in my van?  Mostly just relax, but I'll also want to use my laptop computer.  On a side note, laptops are awesome!  They have the obvious purpose of computing, but also offer the ability to watch DVDs, which can also be converted to digital and now the laptop also stores your movies as well.  Maybe it's not as nice as a huge flat screen TV, but I don't watch enough TV to warrant investing one of those anyway.

I'm going to wait until Fall to buy one.  That way I can get away without an air conditioner for several months.

No comments:

Post a Comment