Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Dropping Out


So, I’m starting to get pretty pumped about buying some kind of vehicle and converting it into my living space.  Although, I’m still not sure about the type of vehicle will best suit my needs, I’m starting to narrow it down.

I’ve mostly given up on a box truck or step van.  I just don’t need that much space.  But, I think a normal van would be too small.  An extended van might do the trick.  Something similar to a 15 passenger limo, van might do the trick.  But I wouldn’t be able to stand up inside unless the roof was raised.

I’m starting to lean towards a mini bus, but most of them have too many windows.  All those windows are bad for insulation, not to mention privacy.  And the mileage would be pretty poor as well.  However, mileage isn’t a big concern because I’d be living in it full time.  The low bills would make up for poor mileage.

Another thing to think about is where to live?  I’d want to avoid any extreme weather.  So, someplace that never gets too hot or too cold.  This makes Arizona very attractive.  I could spend winters in the desert and drive up into the mountains for summers.  There’s also lots a free camping in both places.

I just found out about a place in Southern California called “Slab City.”  It was once some kind of military thing, but they pulled out and left only the cement slabs for the buildings.  Some people have lived there for years, while others stay for just a few days.  Some places are basically junk yard, trash heaps while others are very well kept with gardens and such.  But, the best part is, it costs NOTHING to stay there for as long as you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment