Friday, March 1, 2013

A Change in Direction

Since my other blog was not accepted by Google Ads, I've deleted it and will shift my focus back to this blog.  I don't get much traffic here and I'm okay with that because this blog is sort of a journal for me.  Where I'm at, where I'm going, where I want to be and how I'm planning on getting there.

A couple of weeks ago I had my 51st birthday.  This seems like a good time to asses what I did with the first two thirds of my life and some of my mistakes.  There have been plenty.  I haven't planned for my future very well and as a result I can't slow down any yet.  And all my upcoming plans will have to be modest.  But, I'm feeling good about that.  I've never wanted to live in a big house in the country.  I like urban living.  I prefer smaller living spaces and have little desire for most tangible things.

Long term, I want to buy or build a small trailer to eventually move into.  I think this is the least expensive way for me to retire.  I'm putting a lot of thought into exactly what I'll need to be comfortable and happy living in it and ridding myself of anything extemporaneous.  The down side to this is I'll need a fuel guzzling vehicle to pull it.  But, I think I can live with that as long as I find a good location to live.  I'll need someplace close to a place to buy the things I need as well as some social gathering places.

I'll need all the standard things a person needs in their home, a proper bathroom with shower, sink and toilet.  I'll need a small oven and refrigerator.  I think a two burner stove will be plenty for me.  I'll also need dishes, cups, glasses, utensils and a place to store them.  I simply won't live without a dishwasher.  I'm lazy that way.  I have no use for a microwave though.

Obviously, I'll need a bed.  I'll need a comfy chair and something like a couch for guests.  I think a can have table that will also function as a desk and entertainment center where I'll have my laptop computer.  I think I can get by with about seven pairs of pants, maybe ten T-shirts, ten pairs of socks and two or three pairs of shoes.  One good, heavy coat for winter, a couple of dress shirts and just one blazer and a tie for more formal occasions.  So, I'll need a small closet.  I'm thinking I could build the couch with space inside it to store extra bedding, maybe more.

I'll also need enough room to sit and play my guitar as well as a place out of the way to keep it.  I'm going to try to limit myself to just one guitar, my jumbo acoustic/electric.

Other than cleaning supplies, a few tools, food and places to stow them away, I think that's all. I can watch movies and TV on my laptop as well as listen to radio over the web, so there's no need for a TV or radio.  But, I think a good sound system might be nice to have.

What do you guys think?  Am I forgetting anything?  Let me know.


No comments:

Post a Comment