Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Nagging

I've dated many women and if there's one thing they all had in common, it's that they simply couldn't take no for an answer.  What follows is a hypothetical example for the purposes of this discussion.  I'm using this because there is way to compromise.

One day she says:  "I want to get a dog."

He says:  "No, I don't want to live with a dog."

Her:  "Why not?"

Him:  "Because dogs are messy.  They smell bad and I don't like hair all over everything."

She waits a few weeks and brings it up again.  The same argument ensues and he thinks it's settled.

Later they're out shopping and she says "oh, look!  There's a pet shop.  Let's go in."  They argue some more.

I've had arguments like this go on for years.  I have told women no and that if that's what they really need to be happy they should move out and get what they want.  But, they NEVER leave.  They just keep nagging.

I'm finally left with no choice but an ultimatum.  "I'm tired of this.  I will not change my mind.  If that's what you want, move out and get it.  But, if you bring it up to me one more time, I am leaving.  Is that clear?"

Guess what?  She'll bring it up again!

Does she do it just to see if I'll really leave her?  Once I'm gone, what then?

What if she had been able to wear me down?  Am I still a strong man, worthy of her respect?  Or has she simply learned that if she nags long enough I'll give her whatever she wants?

Gentleman, your woman will test you every day.  And every day you must pass her test or she will stop loving you a little each time you fail.  She'll feel she cannot trust you to be the strong man she wants you to be.

Leave her before giving in to her. 

1 comment:

  1. Men can be nags, too. Less frequently than women, but they do exist. But, you're right about how to handle them.

    ReplyDelete