Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Things I Learned From Mobster Films


I truly enjoy a good mobster film.  The Godfather, Mean Streets, Bugsy and even Get Shorty.  But, I don't love these films for the action and violence.  I love them for the wisdom that comes from the rules they have to live by.  I've found many of them are applicable to my mundane, every day.  Here are just a few;

A Well Dressed Man Always has the Advantage

The way you present yourself tells the world how to treat you.  Dress like a pot smoker, get treated like a pot smoker.  But, dress like a respected member of the community and get treated like one.

We all make judgments about others based on how they look.  We cannot help it.  It's part of our survival programming.  So, it just makes sense to look as good as you can sense you will likely be dealing with more strangers than friends most days.

That doesn't mean you should wear a suit and tie all the time, just put some effort into your appearance.

Present an Air of Cool, Confidence

When others are given the impression that you know what you're doing, they naturally trust and follow your lead.  So, stand up tall, look people in the eye and don't forget to smile.

Don't Say More Than You Have to

Giving out too much information is a sure way to lose a good deal.  Tell people what you want, what you're willing to do in exchange and allow them to assume what they will.

Don't Rat Out Your Friends

I used to fill my car's gas tank on the way home from work.  It was after dark, but I always went to the same place and used the same guy.  He'd turn the pump on for me before I'd paid him which saved me a walk inside to pay and a walk back in after filling up to collect my change.

One night his boss was there and another guy was complaining that the pump wasn't turned on the way it always had been.  The boss said it was company policy to be paid first and asked who had been turning the pump on for him.  The fool pointed at the man that had been hooking us up and that was the end of that deal for everybody.

1 comment:

  1. All true. Wish I had learned half of that when I was younger, and hope that the generation after us figures it out.

    ReplyDelete