Thursday, July 5, 2012

Living Your Dreams

When I was young that's what everyone told me.  "Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life," they said.  But, when my dreams seemed to lofty or they weren't what others had in mind, they changed their tune.

"Get an education so you'll have something to fall back on," they now told me.  But, I was stubborn.  I knew what I wanted even if I didn't know how to start.

Eventually, I met a man that saw something in me.  He thought I had talent and the right attitude and gave me a chance.  I worked hard and learned a lot from him in the next few years.  I saved my money and was able to start my own business.

But, I hadn't learned enough.  The one thing I hadn't learned was when to quit.  After ten years, business slowed down and I couldn't afford to stay open.

I was one of the lucky ones.  I was able to live my dream and live well for 15 years.  These days things are tougher.  I still have dreams, but there are bills to pay and responsibilities to be met.  My dreams have been put away.  Now I just work and consider myself lucky I don't have a job I hate.

The truth is we cannot all live our dreams because we need people to work in the sewers.

No comments:

Post a Comment