Saturday, May 30, 2015

Microsoft Surface Pro Review

So, it's been a very long time I've posted to this blog.  This is because I didn't have anything interesting to say.  But it occurred to me, as a truck driver, I may have a unique perspective on  number of products that others may find useful or interesting.  So I'm going to offer a few thoughts on products I use and some I've had bad luck with

My newest gadget is a Microsoft Surface Pro.  The first thing I want to point out is I think this device is outrageously expensive.  I paid over $1800 for a tablet, keyboard and case.  It also came with a pen tool for writing and drawing that I've yet to find a use for.

The simultaneously best and worst thing about it is the small size.  I like the smallness of it in that it's easy to store when not in use.  However, using it to play Second Life (the only game I indulge in these days) the screen is simply too small.  Windows that once covered on a small portion of my laptop screen now cover close to half because I've had to enlarge the font to a size I can read.  For watching Netflix, it's okay.  But I'd still rather have a larger screen.

The minimal keyboard is surprisingly good.  I especially like that it lights up when in use.  This is handy when I'm parked at night and want to leave my lights off in the truck as I'm not a good typist and need to see my keys while typing.

I have found the touch screen works very well.  But I have no use for it.  I simply don't use things that having a touch screen enhances.

I'm sure this is why I also do not like windows 8.1.  I think it's New Coke.  Yes, I've heard all the tech guys saying that Microsoft does this every few years to force everyone into the future.  But that doesn't hold any water for me.  I've been using Windows for over 20 years and I've never had to learn this much to do simply things like check my Gmail account or open a classic game program like solitaire.  If Tesla can build the car of the future and I don't need classes to learn to drive it why can't Microsoft give me an interface I can understand as easily?

Overall, I do not like this product.  Although I will continue using it because I cannot return it and it cost me so damn much.  I think this is a poor replacement for my laptop and I am sorry I bought it.

No comments:

Post a Comment